Thursday, 12 August 2010

I got a haircut

I'm turned on getting my haircut, even more so if I'm told or made to get it cut and even more if it is to be cut very short. I will regret it the day after or even from the moment I'm sat in the chair but the anticipation is very powerful; something that has been discussed many times on these forums.

So yesterday I was in Krakow Poland and a particular area, Nova Hutta. Nova Hutta was always held of as a model of communist utopia. It was a gift from Stalin to the Poles and was always used as an example of what communism can achieve. It is an area of fine architecture of apartment blocks, wide boulevards and many parks. It has long since past its hay day and since the collapse of communism it is an area for tourists to go and witness. I went there looking for an old fashioned no nonsense barbers with with an equally no nonsense barberette. I wasn't disapointed I soon found two such establishments. Now do I get a haircut? I speak little polish and I will definatley wish I hadn't afterwards; especially as my girlfriend has made an appointment for me in a few days time at an expensive stylists who will take her time give me a fantastic haircut that will suit me and will not be too short. My girlfriend hates it when I get it cut short and doesn't get my peccadillo. So she never makes me get a haircut. So to be made to get a haircut I have to come up with a reason or contrive the situation. I flip a coin. Three times. If the coin lands on tails 3 times then I have no choice I have to get it cut and ask for it short, that's the rules. As mentioned above there are good reasons not to get it cut so it is kind of a relief if the coin comes down on heads. The first two times came down on tails so now its 50/50 and the third time of course it was tails, I had to get my haircut, I had no choice.

I walked in, I wasn't allowed to yurn around, it was get cut short and I had no excuses; it was women to the left and men to the right, there was a single barber there waiting for a customer, there wasn't even a client already sat in a chair for me to spectate and give me a chance for second thoughts, she directed me to one of the vacant chairs. She was in her late 50's and wearing an old nylon smock. The barbers had no hint of modernity, old fashioned and traditional. As soon as I sat in the chair I was having regrets and doubting what I was doing. She put a clean white cape around me which was short and didn't cover my knees. She started to talk to me asking what I wanted I guessed, I spoke to her in broken Polish that I only wanted a little taking off. I was feeling guilty about the appointment my girlfriend had made and that if I had only a little taken off I could go there too. The barber nodded and seemed to understand this, I felt a little relieved and positioned herself to my right to start cutting at the side over my ears. She used scissor over come to cut and not buzz it, I was never buzzed as a child and maybe that's why I always prefer scissor over comb and hearing the rhythm of the scissors and the repeated fall of the hair. It was very obvious from the first cut that I was not getting just a trim I would getting a very short haircut. Long clumps of hair fell on the cape time and time again as she worked her way around. I was powerless and had to endure it, I had to sit and watch it in the mirror. Being caped and having to watch my hair being cut much too short, seeing my hair fall down I find very humiliating and its the reason why I'm there and guess, its the same for many of you reading this.

Having gone round the back and sides scissor over comb and cut it very short over my ears she then took out the clippers put on a very small guard and pushed my head down so she could tape my hair at the nape, not satisfied she removed the guard and continued to taper my nape to nothing. When happy with this she took out a cut throat razor and shaved my side burns, I have stubble over the rest of my face and then the back of my neck. She then moved on to the top of my hair which seemed very long and thick compared to the very short hair I had left above my ears. Again she went in scissor over comb after first giving me a very straight parting on my left. I never have a parting I always leave it messy on top but I neat parting I was to have. This time lots of hair was fulling in front of my eyes as she worked her way through my thick hair on the top and cut in to parted style. She combed down my fringe and without asking removed it to a length she thought was best. I sat there looking like a school boy given a very short back and sides. She looked at me in the mirror and smiled, happy with her work. She carefully removed the cape to allow all the hair to fall to the floor then got some cotton wool attached it to her come and started coming my hair with it I think to get rid of any lose hairs, it didn't matter I could feel the hair down the back of my neck for the rest of the day.

I payed her and tipped her getting one last glance in the mirror, gosh that's very short! It didn't suit me but it was exactly what I was hoping for. I get to visit Poland every other month. If the coins say so I will be going back there, I have no choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment